The latest announcements from OMS CS and your advising team.
**Please read this ENTIRE email, and if you have any advising-related questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your full name and nine-digit GT ID number (90X-XX-XXXX) in EVERY email.**
We hope everyone is having a great summer!
This is a reminder that the deadline to withdraw from a Summer 2017 course is Saturday, July 1 at 4:00pm ET. **Please note that this deadline falls on a weekend. The Georgia Tech campus, in addition to the OMSCS advising office, will NOT be open on the weekend. Therefore, if you know you will be withdrawing from your summer course, we highly recommend that you check for any holds and/or withdraw from your class before Saturday, July 1, if possible, to avoid any potential issues.**
Once you withdraw from a course(s), you will have a “W” on your transcript. Please review the information included in the original email we sent on May 24 (below) for more information and for a list of FAQs.
We will send one final reminder as the July 1 deadline approaches.
Please check which of the following scenarios applies to you regarding the completion of your foundational requirement:
1. For students whose foundational requirement deadline was the end of the Spring 2017 term (or earlier):
If you were due to complete your foundational requirement by the end of the Spring 2017 term (or earlier), and you have not yet completed it, you now have a cohort restriction placed on your account that will restrict you from registering for any course that is not a foundational course.
**Please note that this is a different process than what was used in previous terms. You will NOT have a hold placed on your account, so there is nothing you need to do regarding this.**
Your cohort restriction will be removed once you successfully complete your foundational requirement.
2. If you matriculated Fall 2016, you have until the end of the Summer 2017 term to complete your foundational requirement.
Please note the information included above in Scenario #1, as this most likely will be the same process used for students who matriculated Fall 2016 who will not complete their foundational requirement by the end of the Summer 2017 term.
We will send more information for this group of students during the Fall 2017 term, so there is no need to contact our office before then if you will not be able to complete your requirement by the end of the Summer 2017 term.
3. If you matriculated Spring 2017, you have until the end of the Fall 2017 term to complete your foundational requirement.
Please note the information included above in Scenario #1, as this most likely will be the same process used for students who matriculated Spring 2017 who will not complete their foundational requirement by the end of the Fall 2017 term.
Please be sure to plan your Fall 2017 schedule accordingly so that you can meet your foundational requirement by your designated deadline.
If you still have additional questions after reading this information, please email us at email@example.com. Please be sure to include your full name and nine-digit GTID number (90X-XX-XXXX) in every email.
Have a great day!
OMS CS Advising Team
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology
**If you have any additional questions after reading the information below, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and nine-digit GT ID number (90X-XX-XXXX).**
Hello OMSCS Students,
We hope your Summer 2017 semester is off to a great start! Please read through this entire email carefully.
The following information is available in your Summer 2017 Orientation document that was sent on May 1 (also available online at http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/images/summer2017orientationdocument.pdf).
1. Check to see if you have any holds that might prevent you from withdrawing from a course(s). Instructions on how to view holds can be found here: Holds.
2. If you have a hold, you MUST clear it before you can withdraw from a course(s).
- If you have a Graduate Admissions hold:
- Graduate Admissions is missing documentation (probably final official transcripts). For any questions regarding this, please email them at email@example.com or call 404.894.1610.
- If you are located in the Atlanta area and wish to drop off the documents instead of mailing them, you may do so. Graduate Admissions is located in the Savant Building, room 318, on the Georgia Tech campus.
- If you are n ot located in the Atlanta area, please mail your documents to Graduate Admissions (see Section K in the Summer 2017 Orientation document for the mailing address) or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have a Lawful Presence hold:
- If you have an Immunization hold:
- S end an email to email@example.com and request a Waiver Request Form. Once the waiver is submitted, it is valid for o ne year from the date it is signed. “Distance Learners” do not require proof of immunization but must complete the yearly waiver.
WITHDRAWING FROM A COURSE
For instructions on how to withdraw from a course(s), please visit http://registrar.gatech.edu/students/`withdrawal.php. Once a student has successfully withdrawn from the course, it is our understanding that its status field in OSCAR will change from "**Registered**" to "Course Drop by Student”, “Withdrawn from School”, or “Withdrawal-Student Initiated".
Please note the following:
- The deadline to withdraw from a course(s) is Saturday, July 1 at 4:00pm ET. Once you withdraw from a course(s), you will have a “W” (or “W”s) on your transcript. **Please note that this deadline falls on a weekend. The Georgia Tech campus, in addition to the OMSCS advising office, will NOT be open on the weekend. Therefore, if you know you will be withdrawing from your summer course, we highly recommend that you check for any holds and/or withdraw from your class before Saturday, July 1, if possible, to avoid any potential issues.**
- If you withdraw from the only course you are enrolled in, or ALL the courses you are enrolled in, this is called a “withdrawal from school”. A “withdrawal from school” does NOT mean you are dropped from the OMS CS program.
- If you withdraw from school in Summer 2017 and have a record of enrollment for the term (there is a “W” on your transcript), you can still register for the Fall 2017 term.
- Students are eligible for partial refunds only if they withdraw from the entire term before the withdrawal deadline. For questions regarding refund eligibility and/or disbursement, please visit the Bursar’s Office website (http://www.bursar.gatech.edu/) or contact them directly. The refund schedule is available here: http://www.bursar.gatech.edu/content/refund-calendars. Refer to the “Summer 2017 Refund Calendar" — NOT the "Distance Learning Refund Calendar".
- If you received financial aid, contact the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid with any questions on how withdrawing may affect your loan (http://www.finaid.gatech.edu/).
- As a reminder, the student-run OMS CS Google + community is a fantastic resource for advice or support from your fellow students: https://plus.google.com/communities/108902554607547634726.
FAQ’s REGARDING WITHDRAWING FROM A SUMMER 2017 COURSE(S):
Question: What is the impact of receiving a “W” on my transcript?
Answer: A “W” is visible on your transcript, but it has no impact on your GPA. It is our understanding that at this time, there is no limit on the number of “W’s” a student can have on his/her transcript.
Question: If I withdraw from a course, can I repeat it later? What are the consequences of doing so?
Answer: If you retake a course from which you previously have withdrawn, the “W” from your first attempt and the new grade from that class both will appear on your transcript. As a reminder, a “W” has no impact on your GPA.
Question: What happens if I withdraw from my Summer 2017 course(s) and do not fulfill my foundational requirement by my designated deadline?
Answer: As per the emails that have been sent regarding the foundational deadline, students who have not satisfied their foundational requirement by their designated deadlines have been restricted to enrolling only in foundational courses until they have fulfilled the requirement. At this time, a hold should not be placed on your account, and you should not be dismissed (unless you are academically dismissed from the program due to not maintaining the GPA requirement). We anticipate that this same process will be used going forward, but please be sure to monitor your email closely, as we will send more information regarding the foundational requirement as the semester progresses (particularly for students whose deadline has passed).
Question: How can I confirm that I have withdrawn from my course(s)?
Answer: To confirm if you withdrew from a course(s) correctly, please view your “Student Detail Schedule” section of OSCAR. The step-by-step instructions on how to view this can be found in Sections F and G of the Summer 2017 Orientation document (linked above). Once a student has withdrawn from his/her course successfully, its status field in OSCAR will change from "**Registered**" to "Course Drop by Student”, “Withdrawn from School”, or “Withdrawal-Student Initiated”. **Please do not email our office asking for confirmation of your withdrawal, as you will be directed to this email.**
Question: If I withdraw from my Summer 2017 course(s), do I need to complete a Petition to the Faculty form to enroll in Fall 2017 courses?
Answer: As per Georgia Tech policy (http://www.registrar.gatech.edu/students/readmission.php), “Any student, except a part-time graduate student, who withdraws during a term and wishes to return the following term must complete a petition to the faculty form only.” Therefore, since OMSCS students are part-time graduate students, you do not need to submit a "Petition to the Faculty” form if you withdraw from your Summer 2017 course(s).
Question: When would an OMSCS student need to apply for readmission?
Answer: OMSCS students can take a semester off at any time. However, if you take two or more consecutive semesters off (the summer semester counts towards the two consecutive semesters), you must apply for readmission. For more information, please review the Registrar’s Readmission Policy online at: http://www.registrar.gatech.edu/students/readmission.php.
For example, if a student enrolls in a Summer 2017 course and withdraws (which would result in a “W” on his/her transcript), this counts as a record of enrollment for that semester. Therefore, the student would need to sit out the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters before having to apply for readmission for Summer 2018 (or any semester thereafter).
Question: Who should I contact for questions about refund eligibility?
Answer: For questions regarding refunds, please contact the Bursar's Office. Their contact information can be found on their website at http://www.bursar.gatech.edu.
Question: If I miss the deadline to withdraw, can the OMSCS advisors withdraw me from my course(s)?
Answer: Unfortunately, the OMSCS advisors cannot withdraw students from courses. Therefore, students must withdraw themselves from their course(s) before the deadline of Saturday, July 1 at 4:00pm ET.
Question: What happens to my academic standing if I withdraw from the Summer 2017 term?
Answer: It is our understanding that if you withdraw from the Summer 2017 term, and you do not have any new grades that would change your status, then your academic standing from the previous term would carry over. For example, if you were on academic warning or academic probation after your last enrolled term, then this status would carry over to the Fall 2017 term (if you withdraw from the Summer 2017 term and do not have any new grades to change your academic standing).
Question: What happens to my access in T-Square/Piazza once I withdraw from a course(s)?
Answer: If you withdraw from a Summer 2017 course(s), please note that your access to T-Square and Piazza may not update immediately. It is our understanding that your access to Piazza should update on its own within the next couple of weeks after you withdraw from the course(s). If an extended amount of time passes, and you still have access to T-Square, please contact your TA(s) and/or your instructor(s) first. If they are unable to assist you, please contact the Technology Services Organization (TSO). Their contact information can be found online at https://support.cc.gatech.edu/.
If you have additional questions after reading this entire message, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your full name and nine-digit GTID number (90X-XX-XXXX) in every email.
Enjoy the summer semester!
OMS CS Advising Team
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology